A gathering place for metal detectorists from New England and abroad to discuss metal detecting related topics.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Sunday Morning Hunt

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
billiard rich
Founding Member
Founding Member

PostSubject: Sunday Morning Hunt   Mon Sep 22, 2008 3:40 am

Spent the night shooting pool. After the place closed, the owner and I had a beer and relaxed a while. I left around 5:00 am and headed for a large park that I'd only seen on a map. I arrived around 5:30 and found the filithiest tot-lot I'd ever seen. Empty pop bottles and food wrappers were everywhere. The chips where full of pull-tabs and can-slaw. The sun came up an hour later and by then I'd only found 1 quarter, 1 nickel, and a few pennies. Then I noticed a large football field to the south with bleachers. Thought I'd scan the edges of the bleachers for the heck of it - didn't expect to find much.

When I got there I noticed that the bleachers had been moved back about 20 feet. I could see where they had been - so I finally got to scan under bleachers! It sure beat searching in that filthy tot-lot. It took about half an hour to cover the area and I mostly found pennies and dimes and a couple of quarters. Then I began to wander back towards my car - swinging all the way along the edge of a jogging path. I'd hit a coin now and then so I stuck with it and came upon a picnic area with lots of tables.

At first I tried to scan under and around the tables. I wasn't finding much. Then I looked at the way the tables where arranged and I began to wonder if maybe they were just stashed there. Maybe they had been pushed out of the way. So I scanned the open area where they might have been. That's when I started finding coins. Nothing old - just clad. Mostly pennies, but still - every few feet I was probing and popping a coin. By 9:30 I'd covered about 20% of the open area and I was too tired to pop any more.

My take for the day was 11 quarters, 17 dimes, 1 nickel, and 61 pennies.

I also found a hair-clip and a junk gold leaf.

Can't wait to go back again next weekend. There is also a volley ball court near the picnic area. I gave it a few swings on my way out and I heard lots of targets. (Probably pull-tabs and bottle caps.) I'll hit it first with my scoop next time.

HH

Rich
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ClassicIISL
Founding Member
Founding Member

PostSubject: Re: Sunday Morning Hunt   Mon Sep 22, 2008 7:30 pm

great haul rich, u musta been 1 sore puppy after diggin61 pennies !!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
tinky1878
Founding Member
Founding Member

PostSubject: Re: Sunday Morning Hunt   Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:50 pm

Cool! That place is neat looking!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
leslie(nova scotia)
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostSubject: yo Bill   Sun Sep 28, 2008 6:43 am

From the land of the Bluenose.....good haul me bouy. You must be buying the Tim's this round! Hope to get out today before Klyle hits.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.voy.com/98887/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Sunday Morning Hunt   

Back to top Go down

Sunday Morning Hunt
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1