A gathering place for metal detectorists from New England and abroad to discuss metal detecting related topics.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Fertilizer's Effect on Metal?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Coinguy19

PostSubject: Fertilizer's Effect on Metal?   Sun May 04, 2008 1:57 pm

Today I went to an old farm field to ask permission to hunt, the response I received was, "You don't want to detect here, all the metal you will pull up will be corroded due to the fertilizer". Since this is the first time I have ever asked to detect at a farm field I never really thought about the effect the fertilizer could have. Does anyone have experiences they can share that would prove or disprove this statement? I'm sure that it would effect some metals pretty heavily while not corroding other metals that badly, any thoughts are appreciated, thanks in advance!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lochlainn
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Fertilizer's Effect on Metal?   Sun May 04, 2008 2:52 pm

Hi Coinguy,

Fertilizers will corrode metal, but that being said, there is usually still a lot of nice finds. While some of them may have been affected by the fertilizers, there will still be some that have fared well. Perhaps he was just trying to think of an excuse to deny you permission ? Did you get that feeling or do you think he really thought he meant what he said ? Welcome to the forum by the way. Happy to have you with is Smile

Coinguy19

PostSubject: Re: Fertilizer's Effect on Metal?   Sun May 04, 2008 3:28 pm

I also thought that he may be just trying to get me to go away. The look on his face as I was explaining procedures, ethics, etc. was "how can I get this guy to go away fast haha.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
tinky1878
Founding Member
Founding Member

PostSubject: Re: Fertilizer's Effect on Metal?   Sun May 04, 2008 6:03 pm

Welcome to the Forum!

It would have to have a lot of fertilizer to do that much harm. That would be more than enough to actually kill the plant. I just think he was trying to drive you away.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Fertilizer's Effect on Metal?   

Back to top Go down

Fertilizer's Effect on Metal?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1