A gathering place for metal detectorists from New England and abroad to discuss metal detecting related topics.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Tesoro Silver uMax

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Lochlainn
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Tesoro Silver uMax   Wed Apr 02, 2008 7:09 pm

Well second hunt out with the Silver uMax and I must say I am very impressed. I was a little worried that i was going to miss the pinpointer that I had on the ACE 250, but I was surprised to find that it pinpointed even better than the ACE (in my opinion anyways. I was RIGHT on top of all targets. Combine the Silver uMax with a handheld pinpointer (I use the Tinytec Ultra Deluxe) and you are good to go. My brother and I are headed out tomorrow (weather permitting) for a solid hunting session. Hopefully we will find some nice items. We'll try to take some video clips of anything interesting. The Silver uMax is great at discriminating as well. So ya, I'm very impressed with the Silver uMax so far. I can tell I am going to love it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://mdnewengland.top-forum.net
bmattioli

PostSubject: Tesoro Silver uMax   Wed Apr 02, 2008 7:31 pm

Good to hear your happy with it! Pin points better than the Ace 250?? I'll be buying a new machine this summer and do you think this would be an up-grade? I love the Ace though just tring to experiment.. Also, post a pic of the IH you found yesterday when you get a chance, would love to see it. I did not venture out today, 02 Apr 08--- too windy and cold and the Sox were on!!

Later!
Bruce
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lochlainn
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Tesoro Silver uMax   Wed Apr 02, 2008 7:46 pm

I went to take a picture of the IH and the batteries in my camera were dead.. charging them now.. will try to post on really soon. As far as the Silver being an upgrade... I did some air tests and found that the silver had at least 2 more inches on the ACE, sometimes more depending on the object that I was using. It also seems to discriminate MUCH better and pinpoints better. I think for $27 dollars more, it is a lot more detector than the ACE. I have read a lot of posts by reviewers of the Silver and they claim it can run with the big boys...the Minelab SE and DFX...while those detectors definitely have a lot more options and go somewhat deeper, I think the Silver is a great option for the money. Plus the lifetime warranty is awesome. I can't really comment on the DFX or the SE seeing as I have never had one. Just going by what I have read. I plan on getting the 12" x 10" Concentric coil for the Silver uMax sometime. I have read it can detect down to 12-13 inches which will be really nice for relic hunting. I'll keep you updated as to how the Silver is working out :-) Looks like a few more people found the site. I found some of the members over on the dfxonly forum and sent them some messages. Hopefully the word will spread that we are here so we can get some more posts going. Good to see some more people have found us though Very Happy
Back to top Go down
bmattioli

PostSubject: Tesoro Silver uMax   Wed Apr 02, 2008 7:58 pm

Steve
Thanks for the info on the Tesoro. I've read on the Friendly site where this was a great machine and used by a few folks as well. I saw that Tagbot ( I think that was his ID, the dude with the beanie on his head,, sorry) used one and was very sucessful. I lso see that the DFX is another well used machine and also does very well! So many choices but I have too read more and learn my Ace more too. I'm getting better.. and having a blast which to me is all that counts.. Keep swingin' and the goods will come..

Bruce
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lochlainn
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Tesoro Silver uMax   Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:04 pm

Just posted a pic of that IH Smile Ya I loved the ACE, it's a great machine. I know what you mean when you say there are so many options out there. Seems like a lot of it is the person behind the detector though. I remember seeing one post, I forget the member... he had a bounty hunter IV... a very humble, but very functional detector...he posted a pic of everything that he had dug in the last year and had like $775 in clad Shocked Amazing...that's A LOT of dugging...So, a good machine will help for sure, but I think a willingness to dig most signals and being persistent is what really makes a recipe for success.
Back to top Go down
ClassicIISL
Founding Member
Founding Member

PostSubject: Re: Tesoro Silver uMax   Fri Apr 04, 2008 5:34 pm

Lochlainn wrote:
I went to take a picture of the IH and the batteries in my camera were dead.. charging them now.. will try to post on really soon.
Steve, I just ordered an 8 cell charger, it's dual power 110 and 12 volt cigarette lighter, (for use in the truck). Got 8, new, Ni-Mh 2500 mAh batteries, ready for the MXT !!I used the 2100's last season, in the Classic, and they worked well, in the long run you can save some $ with rechargeables. Rich.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
billiard rich
Founding Member
Founding Member

PostSubject: Re: Tesoro Silver uMax   Mon Apr 07, 2008 2:56 am

Lochlainn wrote:
Just posted a pic of that IH Smile Ya I loved the ACE, it's a great machine. I know what you mean when you say there are so many options out there. Seems like a lot of it is the person behind the detector though. I remember seeing one post, I forget the member... he had a bounty hunter IV... a very humble, but very functional detector...he posted a pic of everything that he had dug in the last year and had like $775 in clad Shocked Amazing...that's A LOT of dugging...So, a good machine will help for sure, but I think a willingness to dig most signals and being persistent is what really makes a recipe for success.

Z118 found all that with the Tracker IV. He also found a ton of jewerly.

Glad you like the Tesoro Silver. But I was wondering, do you miss the visual display? (I've also got a Silver, but I can't seem to get used to the lack of a display - so I've only used it a few times in the sand and go back to my other machines when hunting in the grass.)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lochlainn
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Tesoro Silver uMax   Mon Apr 07, 2008 7:05 am

Thanks for posting the pic of the charger Rich. Looks like a really nice unit. I just have small rechargeable unit for the house at the moment. Works well but something like the one you posted would be nice. Bobby's machine (the ACE 250) uses AA's. When I bought the machine I also bought two sets of NiMH batteries and labeled one set "1" and the other "2". The charger he has for it switches over to a trickle charge when the cells are full to keep them at max charge. When He gets home he puts the set of batteries that he had been using in the charger and replaces them with fresh ones. That's one thing I love about the NiMH batteries; you can charge them at any point and it won't shorten their life.Which is nice so you can just top them off when you get home. The NiCad batteries develop a "memory" and need to be completely (or very near) "dead" before you charge them again to maintain maximum charge capabilities. I'm sure you knew that Rich, just posting the info for folks who may not be familiar with the different types of batteries. My Silver uMax runs on one 9 Volt. I need to look into getting a rechargeable set for that detector. My Tinytec Ultra Deluxe also runs on 9 volt, so it would be handy to have some rechargeable 9 volts on hand.

In response to the question about the Silver uMax's lack of a visual display... at first I felt a little lost without it, but I am finding that it discriminates really well and have developed a simple method of checking to see what it might be. I usually run the discrimination between foil and 5 cent. I should probably run it between iron and foil, but I have been cherry picking the signals in this one area lately because it seems to be very productive so I am not too concerned at the onset about losing good finds. So ya, I run it between foil and 5 cent with the sensitivity usually set as high as it can go without starting to chatter too much. When I get a signal that I think might be worth investigating I start moving the discrimination higher and higher scanning as I turning up the discrimination. If I am still getting a strong signal around tab I know that it might be gold (or a lovely pull tab) then I continue turning up the knob until I hit the 1c Zinc area...if it's still sounding off I know it might be that, then when I get all the way to near max discrimination if it's still sounding off then I get really excited (love those soda cans!) because it might be clad or even some silver. Using this method I can get a general idea of what I might be looking at which helps me to decide if I want to dig the target. One thing that is nice about the Silver is that is gives a nice solid signal for most items that are worth digging. It knocks out minerals really well although on occasion is it fooled by a really hot rock. The other thing I like about the lack of visual display, is that I find myself digging more signals than I would have before with the ACE with causes me to be more thorough when hunting. I'm convinced it will help me recover items that I may have just decided not to dig with the visual display. One thing I found with the visual display is that it was not always right and many times just for the fun of it I would dig those sketchy signals and would find something worthwhile. So I like the fact that it forces me to investigate targets more thoroughly. But in short, I think the Tesoro Silver uMax discriminates much better than the ACE, pinpoints much better (even without the pinpointing feature) and I like tone is has better. Even though it lacks a visual depth indicator, I find I can somewhat gauge the depth by the volume of the signal relative to the "size" of the signal. Guessing depth on the silver is more difficult than on the ACE 250, I will say that. While the ACE is a great all-around machine one place I think that it really shines is in the parks and tot-lots. The ACE 250 is a "coin hound" and makes recovering coins a very efficient process. As far as the Silver goes... so far I am extremely pleased with the Silver uMax and prefer it over the ACE for it's smooth operation, excellent discrimination, and pinpointing ability. But you can't go wrong with either machine Very Happy
Back to top Go down
ClassicIISL
Founding Member
Founding Member

PostSubject: Re: Tesoro Silver uMax   Mon Apr 07, 2008 2:26 pm

Steve, I got the charger at All-Battery.com , they have 9 volt chargers as well as all other different kinds and batteries. Do an e bay search for AA battery charger, they'll pop up in the results, they sell tons of blue color rechargeable batteries. As for digging aluminum, it's a way of life if you don't want to miss ANY gold, ya gotta dig the aluminum ! Rich.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Deep silver
Founding Member
Founding Member

PostSubject: Re: Tesoro Silver uMax   Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:42 pm

Umax is good, it has a wide assortment of coil options avalbile, Often you can score a real killer deal on a used coil for the Umax ,,,,,,,,,,, I have head good things about the cleansweep.......Thing is big like a dust mop .....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SkiWhiz

PostSubject: Re: Tesoro Silver uMax   Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:12 pm

Yes indeed the Silver uMax is a great machine. I had one last summer and sold it. Now I am going to get another one to use this summer. The Ace is a good detector but I like the Silver uMax much better. Steve.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
tinky1878
Founding Member
Founding Member

PostSubject: Re: Tesoro Silver uMax   Wed Apr 16, 2008 5:28 pm

I might have to consider getting me on! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tesoro Silver uMax   

Back to top Go down